Gachagua to Gen Z: I Lost My Job Defending You, Now Make a Sacrifice for Me

Former Deputy President and Democracy for Citizens Party (DCP) leader Rigathi Gachagua has issued a direct appeal to Kenyan youth, framing his historic impeachment and removal from office as a personal sacrifice made while defending Gen Z protesters during the 2024 anti-government demonstrations.

Addressing youth representatives, Gachagua recalled the events surrounding the storming of Parliament on June 25, 2024, maintaining that his refusal to support a harsh security crackdown directly led to his political fallout with President William Ruto.

The former Deputy President claimed that he openly rejected executive directives aimed at labeling young demonstrators as criminals, choosing instead to publicly distance himself from the administration's stance during a press conference in Mombasa.

"I stood with our young people and I lost a job that I had looked for," Gachagua stated, arguing that senior political leaders had a moral duty to protect peaceful protesters rather than oversee state intimidation.

Gachagua urged Gen Z voters across the country to reciprocate his political risk by supporting his opposition movement at the ballot box, insisting that young people should be recognized as active leaders of today rather than future promises.

His narrative, however, has drawn strong pushback from political opponents and government officials.

Deputy President Kithure Kindiki dismissed Gachagua's account of events, accusing the former DP of attempting to rewrite history and manufacture political capital out of national security challenges.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post